The Daggers got the game underway and had the first opportunity of the game as Wilkinson ran into the area but he was beaten for strength and penalty appeals were waved away by the referee. Boreham Wood then won a corner but it was headed over for a goal kick. Shortly after they won a series of corner kicks which included a block from Goodliffe that consequently went behind. The Wood had had more chances early on, but Dagenham were in no real danger of conceding. The Daggers went on another attack, with Wilkinson driving forward and playing it to McQueen who put in a cross that was easily cleared.
      Up the other end former Dagger Femi put a dangerous low ball into the box that troubled the Dagenham back line and new signing Idris Kanu was there to fire it in! Sloppy defending you could argue from Dagenham, but it was a finish full of power. Searching for an instant response the hosts won a corner, but it was easily dealt with by Boreham Wood who weren’t letting their lead slip. Action in the opposition area saw quick thinking from Justham who headed the ball clear after Ben Goodliffe had headed the ball back to him. As he was out of his area all he could do was head it out at the height it came at!
       He was called into action again as the visitors’ No.18 looked to double his side’s lead from just outside the box with a powerful sliding effort but Justham was equal to it. Keiran Murtagh was forced off injured inside half an hour and replacing him was Danny Woodards. The first task Woodards was faced with was keeping Wilkinson quiet as the Irishman found himself with the ball at his feet inside the area, but instead of shooting he passed causing the move to break down. Wilkinson paid for the missed opportunity as Nunn in an attempt to clear the ball cleared it to the edge of the box where Ricky Shakes was waiting, and he found the back of the net doubling The Wood’s lead. From Dagenham’s point of view that was two preventable goals they had conceded all in around 30 minutes.
         Things were about to go from bad to worse for The Daggers as their star defender Manny Onariase tried to run out of defence in possession of the ball but lost it and ultimately made the mistake that conceded a third. Shaibu found the back of the net as Elliot Justham didn’t expect the Dane to get a shot on goal and he had in effect dived over the ball. It was 3-0 and the game looked out of sight before forty minutes had been played. Ben Nunn looked to compensate for his earlier mistake as Munns played it out wide to him, but he skied his effort over the bar and it didn’t look like The Daggers were going to find a way back in it.
      However, one man who could redeem himself was Connor Wilkinson after some bad decision making earlier on, he had put it past Huddart – it was a clinical finish and perhaps a lifeline for Dagenham. And a lifeline it was as just two minutes later the home side were trailing by just the one goal! Good work down the left saw Gordon find a way into the box and calmly fire it home, Boreham Wood had seen their lead reduced to just one in 120 seconds. Onariase conceded a free kick on the edge of the box but fortunately that was dealt with by the hosts much to his relief.

-       Dagenham were in pursuit of an equaliser and they found it as a great old-fashioned goal saw The Daggers fight back from a three-goal deficit in the space of five minutes with Balanta’s headed effort finding the back of the net just before half-time! Despite Luke Garrard’s instructions when his side were three goals to the good not to take their foot off the gas, The Wood had let their lead slip going into the break on level terms. After an eventful first half with plenty of goalmouth action travelling supporters had gone from ecstasy to despair within a matter of five minutes. And the home crowd were no doubt amazed by their side's perseverance fighting back from three goals down. 

The away side got the second forty five underway as both sides aimed for all three points, after a slow start from both sides finally some action came five minutes into the second half. Good link up play between Balanta and Gordon saw Liam Gordon go for glory but his effort went well over the bar. Things began to get a little heated on the field of play eventually somehow involving a crowd of 22 men who swarmed the referee. It soon became clear the incident involved Femi and Wilkinson with the Boreham Wood defender receiving a yellow card.

Wilkinson then saw his effort saved by Ryan Huddart after good play from the Irishman as he looked for his second of the game and a fourth for Dagenham. The Daggers continued their push for a fourth, winning a corner after several balls into the area but it was eventually cleared after an initial effort. The hosts came even closer to putting themselves in front as the ball was cleared off the line from a McQueen free kick. They had to be careful they weren't too open at the back though as Shaibu nearly headed it from close range but the cross was fractionally too high.

After continual pressure Dagenham got their reward as they found themselves in front through that man Liam Gordon who bagged his second goal of the game slotting it in the far corner. Angelo Balanta's dummy and pass out wide to the full back was a great piece of skill not to be overshadowed. Soon after Bradley Ash found the back of the net but his goal was disallowed as he clattered into Justham in the process - a clear foul. The Wood began to look dangerous as they hoped to get something out of the game winning corners that were dealt with by Dagenham. However their constant threat earned them a goal with three minutes remaining as substitute Ash provided a new danger up front in the right place at the right time netting from 4 yards out.

Peter Taylor's double substitution proved ineffectual in the end as Kandi and Harfield couldn't find a winner or spark any real threat late on. The referee blew the whistle after five minutes additional time and signalled the end of what turned out to be an eight goal thriller at Victoria Road - a fair result in truth. Next up for The Daggers is a trip back up north to Salford they will be hoping for a repeat of the league encounter as they go face to face in the FA Trophy.


Popular posts from this blog

Daggers Transfer Round-Up

The Squad: In Depth

𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬: Southend Preview