Self- sabotaging Salford

A self-sabotaging Salford City struggled to a draw in a match which saw them have a goal disallowed due to a moment of idiocy from Rooney which saw him given offside denying what should have been a certain goal.  As well as that debacle Lloyd let his side down as he saw red after a second bookable offence due to his dive in the area. 

Salford got the game underway and dominated possession in the early stages playing Dagenham off the pitch with their fluidity and accuracy. Their first chance was a poor one as Wiseman's cross sailed over the heads of the Daggers back line and behind for a goal kick. For the next five minutes it was end to end stuff with McQueen's heavy delivery up one end and Gaffney's low driven strike in front of the home fans went straight down the throat of Justham. Salford's possession wasn't counting for anything though as The Ammies caused no real threat to Dagenham on the goal scoring front.

They tested the strength of the host's defence soon after though starting with a rocket of a shot that was blocked well by Davey going for a corner. That corner was then cleared behind for another but this time Piergianni came into action with his bullet of a header but it just whistled wide. Before this spell of pressure was up Robinson looked to defend for his side, his great block and eventual clearance kick started a Daggers break. The conclusion of the attack however wasn't what the home side were looking for, as new arrival Leighton was knocked off balance and his shot went wide.

The Essex side had opted for a more direct approach but due to the lack of involvement of the defence they were sitting too deep not able to push up - they were inviting the pressure. Taylor also noticed this issue therefore urging Colchester U23 Will Wright to get on the ball. But Wright and Dagenham had too much pressure on their defence to think tactically, they had to focus on the nasty stuff to stay on level terms. Lloyd continued the visitors' threat as his curling effort was going the right side of the post until Justham's routine yet important save denied him.

A series of Salford corners followed but nothing came of them, the last was a poor header over the bar conceding possession to the home side. A chance up the other end came about after a bombing run from Harfield who won a throw, they then won a second set piece which was a corner. It was cleared only as far as Robinson whose effort dipped into the hands of Neal. Another promising break ended in a penalty appeal after Romain's run ended with him on the floor - his arms flailing in protest. Goodliffe's clearance lead to a corner which could have easily been prevented if he had listened to the call from the now angered Justham.

The next chance for The Ammies would prove to be one of their biggest of the game, as a great shot from just outside the box was going in but Rooney couldn't help himself. He was on the line readying to celebrate the ball going in yet he felt the need to chest it in and 'nick the goal'. This caused outrage as virtually the entire Dagenham XI ran towards the officials in protest - even the policeman instinctively flung an arm up in the air appealing. After a conversation between the referee and linesman the goal was disallowed and a cheer went around Victoria Road as the linesman awarded a free kick.

The Daggers were forced into an early substitution as Gavin Hoyte came on for the injured Davey. Dagenham got into the half as it went on but they were yet to cause any real danger to the Salford goal. Ben Goodliffe more than redeemed himself as he kept the hosts level by heading an effort off of the line, this time he was praised by Justham. There was then another shot on goal as Maynard's effort forced Justham to dive down and he did so well. The next big talking point was negative from a Salford perspective as Lloyd was dismissed, his dive in the Daggers area saw him receive a second yellow.

That dismissal gave Dagenham an advantage mentally as well as physically for the remaining few minutes. This was evident, as the next chance was a well struck effort from Elliot Romain who tested Neal. As the whistle blew for half time Dagenham must have had a spring in their step as they were a man stronger. There were also positives to take from their performance in the first half with a clean sheet and some threat on the counter. Also for the first time this season it looked like luck was on their side!

The now motivated Dagenham & Redbridge got the second half underway as they looked to get something out of the game. But it was the ten men of Salford who started the brighter of the two sides winning a corner in the opening minutes. However that corner was put to waste as it went out for a Daggers throw - it was a poor delivery. From there on in the hosts looked to make the most of their extra man winning a corner after a blocked Wright effort. Despite nothing coming of the corner they continued to go at it winning another corner through a Robinson inspired attack.

Although Dagenham were dominating they were still caught out from time to time, with dangerous counters from a Salford side who looked like they would settle for a point. Noel Leighton was replaced by Reynolds as Taylor looked for fresh legs to run at the Ammies defence. There was a chance for the home side to get their noses in front as Wright's header went just wide of the post (below) - he misjudged the flight of the cross. More frustration followed for Dagenham as substitute Hoyte's ambitious effort was a poor one, Robinson wasn't afraid to make his feelings known.

The Daggers nearly paid for their missed chances but incredible shot stopping from their No.1 denied an effort from point blank range. Taylor then made a substitution replacing the injured Pennell with Tomi Adeloye, this is where managers earn their money. Reynolds then ran at the Salford full back winning a corner, which was headed over for another set piece. This corner ended in a mass collision in the box but the ref played on with everyone getting back to their feet except Adeloye and Pond. The match official then stopped play for both players to be treated they were then escorted off of the pitch before being waved back on.

A few wasted Dagenham chances followed with Robinson's cross going over the bar and Reynolds gifting the ball to Neal with his poor effort. Soon after there were appeals from both sides for a penalty and dive as Reynolds went down in the box both were waved away by the ref. Running at the opposition Harfield won a free kick but the ball ended up in the hands of the Salford keeper after Adeloye's header. Touray then tried to nick all three points for Salford as his bursting run down the left won his side a throw.

However the game ended 0-0 as the final whistle blew, Dagenham again would have felt like they should have won it given the circumstances of the game. But before the match they were no doubt the underdogs so in that respect they did themselves proud. Salford would have felt they did well in the circumstances to grind out a draw away from home.

Here are some of the players' reactions:


Popular posts from this blog

Daggers Transfer Round-Up

The Squad: In Depth

𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬: Southend Preview