Late drama settles it at Silverlake

Away V Eastleigh
It was a cold day in Hampshire as it was across the whole of England, it felt like Autumn had come. The BT Sport cameras had come as well, both sides looked to shine on television hoping someone from the football league was watching. The away side got the game underway and started the better of the two sides in the early knockings of the game. But after the first couple of minutes the home side looked to get their noses in front, Yeates put a couple of crosses in without reply. You could see early on that he was going to be a threat with his ability to take people on.

Adeloye got his first chance of the half after winning a free kick due to a good move from Dagenham, it was within shooting distance but he couldn't get it to dip soon enough. He one another soon after this time to the right of the box however Hoyte's delivery was easily cleared. They had a good spell but couldn't turn chances into goals as another set piece was cleared without issue. That man Yeates was at it again as his cross/shot looked dangerous; Hoyte did well to prevent any further danger.

The Spitfires were getting into dangerous areas but Dagenham were strong in the air making sure any possible aerial threat was non-existent. Adeloye made something out of nothing as he intercepted Gobern's poor pass and took two people on finding himself in the box, but he couldn't do the easier part shooting wide! Adeloye again worked it well but he pulled it back to Robinson whose shot was easily blocked. Both sides seemed to lack quality in the final third as of the chances created few were shots on target.

Wynter was alert and ready as his block denied Adeloye from close range, he snatched at the opportunity. Green was booked for a professional foul as he halted Dagenham's counter but in the next phase of play Gobern's foul proved worse. He brought Robinson down just before half time in the area but Kandi's spot kick was saved by debutant Stryjek - it was a poor penalty in truth. So with that being the last real chance of the first half the referee blew his whistle and the sides went in with the deadlock yet to be broken. Kandi would have no doubt been replaying that penalty in his head over and over again. Whereas Eastleigh would have felt they got lucky and will look to improve especially in attack in the second half.

The hosts got the second half underway but it was the visitors who started the better side winning two set pieces early on neither resulted in a goal. Yeates started where he had left off as the Irishman ran through three Daggers players before getting a shot off. McCallum lost his discipline as his late challenge on Donovan warranted a booking. The man who conceded a penalty Groben came off as Chris Zebroski came on looking to get his name on the score sheet. After a good move Yeates again was in the opposition box his effort was blocked and Payne looked to get the better of Justham with his ambitious effort, but it went over.

Alex Wynter was the man who looked to deny Adeloye again but his tackle was a poor one this time round and he was carded for troubles. Donovan whipped in the subsequent free kick but Goodliffe's header caused no problems going straight into the hands of Stryjek. The main man up top for The Daggers Adeloye made way for V9 Academy product Lamar Reynolds who looked to improve the quality of finishing as he came on. Eastleigh were appealing for a goal to be awarded after The Spitfires were convinced Justham handled the ball over the line - the ref was having none of it.

Zebroski looked as if he was through on goal after Yeates' through ball but Hoyte did well showing the substitute down the line so his teammates could get back. Romain worried The Spitfires as his pressure won the ball off Stryjek but when he pulled it back to Reynolds it went straight to Stryjek. Justham was essential in the next attack as his fabulous, instinctive save kept the ball out and the score level. Neither side could get it in the back of the net as Robinson's effort sailed over up the other end. Again Justham kept his side on level terms as he beat out McCallum's header, he put in a sublime performance.

It turned into a very open encounter as it went into the last ten minutes and Dagenham's great last ditch defending proved vital as again McCallum was denied this time by Pennell. Eastleigh won a corner and it was met superbly by Constable whose half volley on the turn was just shy of the top corner. Yeates' effort was blocked by Goodliffe for a corner again last ditch defending had saved The Daggers. The corner was whipped in and headed in by Wynter as Hoyte failed to challenge for the ball losing his man Wynter, it was coming but you felt Dagenham could have held out. McQueen replaced Hoyte as Dagenham were desperate to find a late equaliser and man of the match Yeates came off receiving his deserved applause.

Adding to the late drama The Spitfires' top scorer McCallum received his marching orders thirty seconds from time. After kicking out at Gordon he received a second yellow despite not making contact with the 19 year old. As Peter Gibbons blew for full time it was official Dagenham's unbeaten run was over and Eastleigh had recorded their second win at The Silverlake this season. There were positives Taylor could have took from the game defensively but still The Daggers lacked that quality up front.

The Daggers head to Solihull on Tuesday as they hope to rediscover their recent run of form. COYD.


Popular posts from this blog

Daggers Transfer Round-Up

The Squad: In Depth

𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬: Southend Preview