Away V Woking

Saturday 7th October
Away V Woking - National League

It was Non- league day and the Daggers took a trip over the crossing to Kent where they faced Woking at the Laithwaite community stadium. It was the visitors whom got proceedings underway however in an early attack Okenabirhie ran the ball out of play. Early pressure from the hosts then followed as Stojsavljevic took a free kick from halfway however nothing came of it. Soon after there was a Woking attack, but it led to a goal kick taken by Cousins. Dagenham began to show their presence as they won a corner and it was headed back in eventually coming out to Robson who hit it out the ground.

The visitors continued to attack as a great run from Okenabirhie led to another corner; direct from the corner Scott Doe, the Daggers skipper, headed just wide. Another well worked move from the dominant Dagenham had no reward at the end of it. Loanee Regan Charles-Cook posed a threat as it was he who looked to get his side in front; his shot however well blocked by Doe.

Both sides had their spells and it then began to look like end to end stuff. As after another strong Woking attack that saw Dagenham defend well, Boucad brilliantly spread the play and got it out to Howells however his cross nowhere near as good. The long ball tactic was constantly failing for the visitors as another ball looking to get Ferrier in goes straight to Baxter. Ben Nunn was having a nightmare on his side as Ward was causing him a lot of problems; It was that flank where Woking were causing a real threat.

This pressure called for some outstanding defending from Robson as his amazing challenge prevented a promising shot; it was him again whom got in front of his man to prevent a header. Woking, who were on top, were wanting it more in the middle as Adams lost the ball carelessly on the edge. As a result of being on top near the end of the first 45, the hosts won their first corner of the game, but Isaac’s cross was collected by Cousins. The last attack of the half came from Woking, as a Ward attack was stopped by Okenabirhie who fouled him and received a yellow for his troubles. It was a nervy end to the half; the free kick was put into the mix, but it was eventually cleared.

The home side had the momentum going into the break, but Dagenham wouldn’t have been too downhearted as they had some promising spells in the opening half. Woking got the second half underway and the first piece of action was from the hosts however it was an Isaac shot that went out the Laithwaite Stadium. That was shortly followed by yet another poor shot but this time it was Okenabirhie whose shot went straight at Baxter.

Isaac was the second name in the book as he fouled Ferrier, but the free kick didn’t pose a threat to Baxter. The visitors won a corner but Howells’ cross was not met; In the second half Dagenham did start the better of the two sides. Consecutive corners and attacks followed including a great shot from Okenabirhie. Regan Charles – Cook completely hacked Daggers skipper Scott Doe amid abuse from the away supporters; this abuse went to outrage as the Woking forward got away with just a booking.

Jake Howells has got the better of the Woking man trying to prevent him from any threat, as he continues to get balls into the box. Up the other end there was an aerial threat from Ward and it was unbelievably kept out by Mark Cousins at full stretch. With just fifteen minutes left on the clock there looked like there was going to be an exciting end, in a game that could go either way.

Dagenham continued to attack but the final balls and shots were not of any quality. These missed chances left the Daggers in great remorse as Charles - Cook whom was lucky to still be on the pitch picked out the top corner. He was not closed down on the edge, that led to a great strike that Cousins had no chance of stopping, they had found a breakthrough 1-0. The host nearly made it two as he headed just over. The frustration continued for Dagenham as a great cross again from Howells had no response, time was running out for the visitors. It was their huge chance, but Dagenham couldn’t equalise as an Adams corner was punched off the line and Howell somehow put it wide. After bombarding the Woking box, the disputed Chris O’Donnell blew his whistle consequently leaving Woking a point off the top. A frustrating day out for the Daggers as they now look to the FA Cup tie against local rivals Leyton Orient.


Popular posts from this blog

Daggers Transfer Round-Up

The Squad: In Depth

𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬: Southend Preview