Away V Orient

Tuesday 17th October

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay

Away V Orient

The Daggers got the replay underway as both teams looked to reach the first round of the FA Cup where anything can happen. However, it was Orient who looked very much at home in the early stages at the Matchroom as they looked liveliest. After a good spell of defending from the daggers, with Scott Doe clearing any aerial threat into the box, they began to find a way to break through the hosts’ defence. Starting with a corner won and consequently taken by Whitely however in the end it came to nothing. A series of attacks followed including a Romain free kick in a promising position, but it didn’t cause any threat to Grainger. Also, Boucad’s delivery troubled the Orient back line but had no challenge in the box; after a promising spell from the visitors Orient began to fight back.

Robson conceded a corner leading to a game of head tennis which in the end was comfortably collected by Cousins. After Corey Whitely appealed for a possible penalty the hosts went on the counter and after a well worked move slotted it home as from a low cross by Mooney Bonne put the ball past Cousins; The Orient took an early lead in front of the Daggers supporters. Two set pieces followed from the home side including a controversial free kick given in the man whom assisted Bonne’s goal; however that opportunity came to nothing. The visitors had a similar opportunity up the other end as a Howells corner was cleared at the near post and Adams, whom was loitering on the edge, saw his effort go just shy of the goalmouth.

Another good chance for Orient was well defended by Dagenham, whom won a free kick on the counter, as Whitely was fouled on halfway. That free kick conceded by Clay turned out to be another wasted opportunity for Dagenham. Orient’s goal scorer walked off needing treatment triggering abuse from the away supporters, especially when he re-entered the field unharmed. Howells won a free kick in a dangerous position and it was he who hoped to equalise for the visitors however his effort sailed over. As a result of no closing down Caprice got a shot off which worried the Daggers however it didn’t bulge the net. Another clear-cut chance followed, but this time for the opposing team as Whitely won the ball and played it to Ferrier who had to score however he put it over from yards out! It was another missed opportunity.

Orient would’ve probably been the happier side going into the break with a lead and not looking too vulnerable at the back. The visitors on the other hand would’ve felt downhearted, as they were trailing, but also the way their finishing was not very inspiring. The leaders got the second half underway however it was the Daggers who had the lion’s share of possession despite not doing much with it. The visitors did however have the first big chance of the second 45, as Ferrier set it back to the fresh legs of Okenabihrie, but he couldn’t make an imminent impact as he put his effort wide. Cousins’ long ball up to Ferrier again failed as Grainger got their first; the Daggers looked desperate to get an equaliser.

The desperation turned into frustration as Matt Robinson fouled Mooney on the edge of the box; he received a booking for his troubles. The subsequent free kick from Dayton looked promising however caused no threat to Cousins. Another close chance from Dagenham as Robson’s shot was parried by Grainger and Ferrier put his header wide from 3 yards out but is accused of fouling the Orient player. Robson went up the other end and kept his side in the game as he took the ball from Mooney’s feet before he could put it in. Dagenham were piling on the pressure with 10 minutes left and were not leaving the competition without a fight. Clark completely hacked Morgan Ferrier, he had to have got sent off! Even Orient fans must’ve shook their head at that challenge, he escaped with a yellow amid abuse from the traveling supporters.

Mooney was through again in the closing stages and it called for some great defending yet again but this time by Doe. Ferrier’s great strike which looked to be his side’s dramatic equaliser was unbelievably kept out by Grainger. After Bombardment from Dagenham, who threw the kitchen sink, Orient held on in a close encounter in the FA Cup So, it was them who were confirmed as Gillingham’s opponents in round 1.


Popular posts from this blog

Daggers Transfer Round-Up

The Squad: In Depth

𝐁𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬: Southend Preview